30 Years Of .....Blue Monday


Happy 30th Birthday Blue Monday! 
Do you remember what you were doing on March the 7th 1983? It was my final year at Grammar school and I still have good memories of buying this 12" single (on the day of release) from the Swales Record shop in Altrincham. At last I could ditch the tape from Peel's broadcast a few weeks earlier and own the real thing. There was much anticipation but little hype surrounding the release, and Saville's anonymous yet innovative (and expensive!) sleeve design required a hand written sticker by Swales' staff to describe the contents.
Rather than rip my scratchy copy for the blog, I though I'd try something different to celebrate the day. If you know where to look you will find the eight separate 24-bit multi-tracks from the original version of the song. The file is 375mb but unpacks to nearly a gigabyte. Now all you budding mixologists can load them into your audio software (Audacity is a good freeware alternative if you don't have Cool Pro or Audition) and mix your own version of the track. I have had a go, it was good fun. If you like the results or just want to show other blog followers how bad you are, please just link to your track (downsampled to 16/44 to save space) in the comments. Feel free to add overdubs, samples or whatever. But no guitar please. Blue Monday with guitar is just wrong! ;-)

16 comments:

  1. http://www.adrive.com/public/aAT9WV/Blue Monday Multitracks.zip

    Files are live until March 21st 2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. My efforts....

    The Blogmeister's Disco Mix Down

    http://www.adrive.com/public/9ntzjX/Blue%20Monday%20(Blogmeister's%20Disco%20Mix%20Down).flac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue Monday without guitar is wrong? I think Hooky and his six string bass might have something to say about that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Hook will also tell you that there is a very clear distinction between a bass and just an ordinary guitar.

      Delete
    2. Even without you asking Mr. Hook would tell you lots of things...

      Delete
  4. This is pretty wrong...

    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7928892/NewQueen-DontStopBlueMonday_Lufix_eq.mp3

    Appologies for not being flac but the .wav is at home. Enjoy (or not)

    -matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wrong indeed, and totally hilarious in a kinda camp way!

      Don't Stop Me Don't Stop Me Hey Hey!!

      Delete
    2. That's what I thought when I did it (for my sisters 40th).

      'tell me now- how do i feel...alright!'

      -matt

      Delete
  5. Such fun! My 1st time playing with the functions on Audacity, it was easier than I thought. Here is my low fidelity offering-

    http://www.mediafire.com/?is5uni0b8lk8aya

    ReplyDelete
  6. With love from russian synth-wave project Frio Mundo Frio !
    http://www.mediafire.com/?lad7wqxp0nxwaug
    New Order - Blue Monday (FMF Saratov Mix).wav

    ReplyDelete
  7. I left Altrincham Grammar School in 1982-in fact I immigrated to Canada. Great blog-interested to find out if you new Gary Isherwood or Stuart Leicester?

    I remember buying a lot of stuff from Swales-inspite of his Man City connections. Did you used to go to Streets Ahead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Streets Ahead was the better record shop. They had most of the obscure Factory singles in a great indie section.

      Delete
  8. Please tell Phil Cunningham that, some of the post 2005- versions of the song are in a dreadful state with too much guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brian McCombs just posted a kick-ass mix on his Soundcloud page: http://snd.sc/ZpjI4f

    ReplyDelete
  10. any chance of the multi track again,i missed it by a week. Please

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Phil, please post multi-track again, I've download but only kick track works.

    I to am anonymous.

    ReplyDelete