Various Artists - Pogo a Go Go!
Ripped from a cassette album released by the New Musical Express (NME 021) in 1986 to high quality lossless flac audio. You could almost suggest that the NME invented a genre with the C86 cassette, however it's worth remembering that if it wasn't for "C77" there would have been no C86. Where is the NME now? ....what on earth went so wrong?
A1 Sex Pistols - Satellite (Suburban Kid)
A2 The Undertones - True Confessions
A3 Nipple Erectors - King Of The Bop
A4 Television Personalities - Part Time Punks
A5 Sham 69 - Borstal Breakout
A6 The Damned - Stretcher Case Baby
A7 Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Watching The Detectives
A8 The Stranglers - Choosey Susie
A9 Victim - Strange Thing By Night
B1 The Clash - 1977 (Demo)
B2 Johnny Moped - Incendiary Device
B3 The Slits - Typical Girls
B4 Alternative TV - Love Lies Limp
B5 Swell Maps - Read About Seymour
B6 The Jam - In The City
B7 The Fall - Bingo Master's Breakout
B8 Subway Sect - Ambition
B9 Wire - Dot Dash
B10 Buzzcocks - Orgasm Addict

Gone in two weeks....
ReplyDeletehttps://mega.nz/#!zNQE0KhR!nGQP8Lg7wvlqyFrcuMtJlERKHRpV9ucGiauaXgtITss
Thanks to the happyone for his tape rip
I used to LIVE for the NME every Thursday, when I was younger but no less impressionable...if you have any other NME tapes I would be eternally grateful...
ReplyDeleteDitto what anonymous said. fetches memories rushing back of a far off age when you had to save up to buy your records, the black round things, Peel was required listening as was the NME still essential reading along with Sounds before it went toooooo heavy metal. I was only looking at discogs the other day and realised that I used to have almost all of these wonderful cassettes, note the "used to" so if you have any others I can only get down on my knees and say PLEASE.
ReplyDeleteOne I have but thanks to you I will be able to listen to it again.
ReplyDeleteThe NME is now a free give-away advertising rag. Hard to believe now that the only way to get real info on the music scene was by reading the weekly inkies and listening to Peel
Pitchfork ran a post about the NME tapes you can find it here:
ReplyDeletehttp://pitchfork.com/thepitch/368-beyond-c86-the-forgotten-gems-of-nmes-cassette-series/
I'm not sure why they say 36 tapes when it should be 38.
The following site gives complete details on what was released and their contents:
https://nmecassettes.wordpress.com/about/
These cassettes were the best, pre-internet. They were the best way to sample new music. I remember loving this one from Underground Magazine in '88 that I still have: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Strum-Drum/release/1612057
ReplyDeleteJust checked, and the Press Play and Record site still has some viable links to many of the NME tapes. Yeah, when they first came out, they were the best.
ReplyDelete