Felt 1979-1983


Felt - Index
Ripped from a 7" vinyl single released on Shanghai Records (SRTS/79/CUS 321) in 1979 to high quality lossless flac audio. Didn't you once strum away on your guitar, record it onto an old cassette recorder and hope one day to be a pop star? Lawrence Hayward did as well, he released it as a seven inch single ...and from noisy little acorns grew penelope trees.

A1 Index
B1 Break It



Felt - Something Sends Me To Sleep 
Ripped from a 7" vinyl single released on Cherry Red Records (CHERRY 26) in 1981 to high resolution 24-bit flac audio. 

A1  Something Sends Me To Sleep
A2  Red Indians
B1    Something Sends Me To Sleep (Version)
B2    Red Indians



Felt - Crumbling The Antiseptic Beauty
Ripped from a vinyl mini album released on Cherry Records (MRED 25) in 1982 to high resolution 24-bit flac audio.

A1 Evergreen Dazed
A2 Fortune
A3 Birdmen
B1 Cathedral
B2 I Worship The Sun
B3 Templeroy



Felt - My Face Is On Fire
Ripped from a 7" vinyl single released on Cherry Red Records (CHERRY 45) in 1982 to high resolution 24-bit flac audio.

A1 My Face Is On Fire
B1 Trails Of Colour Dissolve



Felt - Penelope Tree
Ripped from a 12" vinyl single released on Cherry Red Records (12 CHERRY 59) in 1983 to high resolution 24-bit flac audio.

A1 Penelope Tree
B1 A Preacher In New England

B2 Now Summer's Spread Its Wings Again

Steve has prepared a detailed compendium of cleanly ripped gigabytes from his collection of Felt on vinyl and has allowed it to be posted here on ESWA for blog followers. Felt were always in the shadows of indie-pop, denied wider recognition through airplay but always so very special in the hearts of those who discovered them. Incredibly, there was never a Peel Session and only one track was to make it to Peel's Festive Fifty in 1985. Thankfully after Index, Lawrence learned to play his guitar properly and found the confidence to let us hear his very unique voice.

27 comments:

  1. Gone in two weeks...

    https://mega.nz/#!mYRGQAbZ!zDhvb8GZ6lTUjFo0EFXxJHRzXj99PC7NDomkwNW8htY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic, thanks for these rips. I still own all of this on vinyl too but don't have the means to rip them, so very much appreciated.

    As for Peel Sessions they didn't do any but they did record one for Andy Kershaw (11-09-1986) and another for Janice Long 12/2/1986. I can happily upload them for you if you want them. I also have a recording of the first show I saw of theirs at The Venue London 15.9.1983, an amazing gig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do Robin and link them here if you can. I am sure many will want to hear them. :-)

      Delete
    2. Lovely comments Robin. Just to clarify, Felt performed three BBC sessions: Janice Long BBC Session #1 9.84, Janice Long BBC Session #2 12.02.86, Andy Kershaw BBC Session 11.9.86. The latter is noteworthy for the inclusion of exclusive song 'When The Dawn Starts Creeping In'. I'm happy to provide lossless rips if required. Blogmeister please let me know...

      Delete
    3. I for one would love to hear that live gig of yours, Robin!

      Delete
    4. Yes please to the lossless sessions Steve. I can tag them on to what's coming over the weekend ;-)

      Delete
    5. The Venue gig is part of the WeTransfer link I've posted here so you can enjoy that, poor quality as it is unfortunately. Lossless versions of the sessions would be much appreciated too. What a successful post this has been for everyone :-)

      Delete
  3. I uploaded them to Wetransfer, but you are welcome to share them via Mega or whatever works for you

    https://wetransfer.com/downloads/ba1369915ef98ebb7391e6f1c0ca5c6d20170224101213/85de0472b47780d3c5bcc447f945829520170224101213/c3adb9

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps this URL is neater

    https://we.tl/torlm2oP4C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gentlemen, thank you so much for this splendid post! humbly yours, twp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every post is a little thrill, but some stop me in my tracks altogether. It's usually the ones I'd been waiting for without realising it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for these Felt rarities. Figures that Scanner is a felt fan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, Crash The Driver :-)
    I saw Felt a few times in the 1980s, that was when they supported The Go-Betweens and The Smiths, an amazing night indeed. I recorded quite a few experimental guitar pieces around that time that really reminded me of that beautifully graceful, thin and hypnotic Felt guitar sound so that's partly why they used to interest me so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maurice Deebank was a wonderful guitarist. Too bad there's just that one solo album of his.

      Delete
  9. Wow. I'm a casual Felt fan. I discovered them decades after their heyday, so they don't have the emotional impact for me that they did for the lucky sods who knew them back in the day. But to discover there's more Felt out there that I didn't have... what a great way to start my weekend. This blog is the best!

    Don

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You needed this blog to discover that? You should get out more.

      Delete
  10. With thanks to Robin, I have taken the liberty of remastering his wonderful live at The Venue London 15.9.1983. I boosted the volume, re-EQ'd using a hifi effect and adjusted the channel levels. Enjoy, here's the link for 7 days only:

    Felt - The Venue London 15.9.1983 [Remastered] - https://we.tl/4gcSKCp7aC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, that's fabulous!! I was tempted to do the same after listening back to them today but then hoped someone with talent might want to have a play with them too. Much improved indeed. Now my memories of that gig are even brighter :-) What a good community we have here!

      Delete
  11. For Robin, Blogmeister and any interested fellow blog followers, here are the three Felt BBC radio sessions and 3 related items in lossless Flac. Link expires in 7 days.

    Felt - Janice Long BBC Session #1 30.9.84 - https://we.tl/YyMdduQ4kX

    Felt - Janice Long BBC Session #2 12.02.86 - https://we.tl/llJJjnD6Ti

    Felt - Andy Kershaw BBC Session 11.9.86 - https://we.tl/nw4SaiedLl

    The Versatile Newts - Newtrition [7''][1980] - https://we.tl/mdgqKo1aND

    Supermarket - Supermarket [12''][1992] - https://we.tl/YnEDQs9aDS

    Discotheque USA - Shampoo ‎- Blisters And Bruises [7''][1993] -

    https://we.tl/cmyW4rNAT0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just downloaded! Thanks Steve! How fantastic. It's a joy to share music that hasn't been heard in years like this and probably won't be released anyhow.

      A nice weekend listening ahead... :-)

      Delete
    2. Cheers Steve! I was late to the party and missed Robin's link. Managed to get yours that were due to be deleted in "less than zero seconds". I think that counts as sneaking in under the wire!

      Delete
  12. words cannot express ..
    i have all of these - except i sold "index" for coin years ago but no means to play them so you have my gratitude
    few people know how special Felt are

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apparently even fewer know that 98% of all the Cherry Red and Creation releases posted here are readily available for legitimate download. But that would entail "coin", wouldn't it? Yes, quite. So let's all "share" instead. I bet Lawrence would be most pleased at how "special" he's regarded.

    Or to put it another way -

    "My focus will be on mostly long deleted & unavailable music, where the band are no longer active and where it is literally impossible to obtain this music commercially without paying over the odds on EIL.com or similar sites."

    Absolute bollocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own all of the original items, from the very earliest Felt 7" Index, on vinyl and CD for the majority of the releases. What I was interested in are the items that have never been commercially available, such as the radio sessions which are very unlikely to ever receive any kind of release, live recordings and so on.

      Having said that I just searched through both Cherry Red and Creation websites for any releases of FELT and there's very little that actually came up, only a handful of compilations on Cherry Red but none of the original releases as they need to be heard. I'm sure Lawrence would be even more delighted if the label that released his inspirational music actually offered it for sale, easily to a public that is clearly interested in hearing it. It's just as much of a pity to the artist now too unfortunately.

      Delete
    2. Awwh bless. The Hissing of Frustrated Snakes Hiding Beneath a Blanket of Anonymity.

      Delete
  14. Thanks to Steve and of course Blogmeister for making the BBC Radio sessions available. Looking forward to hearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. there was never a Peel Session and only one track..
    It is because of hard-headed Steves Also known as Link expires in 7 days.

    ReplyDelete