Playing Away


Playgroup - Model Noise
Ripped from a 12" vinyl single released on Virgin France (600 564) in 1983 to high resolution 24-bit flac audio.
A1 Model Noise
A2 Wooden Soldier
B1 Model Noise (Hip Mix)



Playgroup - Play Group
Ripped from a vinyl mini long player released on Virgin France/Mankin Records (70 269 in 1984 to high resolution 24-bit flac audio.
A1 Water
A2 Memories
A3 Love Goes Round (Edit Version)
A4 Water (New York Mix) (U.S. Version)
A5 Hip Left
B1 Love Goes Round (Maxi)
B2 Love Goes Round (Remix)

Here are two rarities from the early back catelogue of New York electro-pop funksters Playgroup. Eventually to team up with Mark Kamins for a one off Factory Benelux release, these boys snuck out their early product on to the French market only but their sound is very much in the early eighties New York pop groove. Perhaps they felt that particular market was congested, or more likely they just couldn't get a deal. Love Goes Round was also a single in it's own right, and the mini album appears just to be an expansion of the original French 12".
To this listener, I hear all those fabulous (but every so slightly dated) trademarks of the NY scene tinged with elements of New Order, early Quando Quango and blog favourites Set The Tone. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I like this - a lot! Thanks for an interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the same Playgroup as recorded for On-U Sound then?

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks a lot! I didn't even know there was something from them apart from "euphoria" (which I still think is the best they did)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much!

    According to Discogs there are 4 different Playgoups! Very strange.

    I must confess I miss the "Totally Random New Order Single" :-)

    ReplyDelete