Jam On It


Playgroup - Epic Sound Battles Chapter Two
As promised here is the second Playgroup album in superb lossless quality. Like the first, this was originally planned as an On-U Sound release but then licensed out to Cherry Red. The line-up reduces in size from the first: Ras Levi (Dub Syndicate), Style Scott (Creation Rebel), Bruce Smith (The Pop Group), Steve Beresford (too many to mention), Bonjo I (African Head Charge), and Lol Coxhill all contribute - we all can guess who produces and blends the whole thing together.
The mix of styles and influences here is impressive - from dub to funky soca to urban jazz, this record packs them all in. It's the sound of a multi-cultural eighties London finding it's feet after being suffocated by a thatcherite smog - the wonderful Going Overdrawn sums everything up into one track, I don't recall ever hearing a track mixing Russian violin, steel drums and slap bass. Nobody makes records like this anymore. Enjoy!

Originally planned to be an On-U Sound release (ON-U LP26) but shelved. Ripped here from a 1983 vinyl album released on Cherry Red Records (BRED 52).
A1 Ballroom Control
A2 Going Overdrawn
A3 Going For A Song
A4 Haphazard
B1 Squeek Squawk
B2 Shoot Out
B3 Lost In L.A.
B4 Burned Again
B5 Night Shift

7 comments:

  1. fantastic - real xmas over here -

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you have Deadly Headley 35 Years From Alpha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I do not. Would love to have a lossless rip myself.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for these rare On U Sound albums. I have a vinyl copy of Deadly Headleys' 35 Years from Alpha, so if you can wait for a couple of weeks I'll post a link in the comments section once i've ripped and cleaned it up..

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mick. I'd love to hear the Deadley Headley album. Looking forward to hearing your rip! :-)

      Delete
    2. that would be great - same here...

      Delete
  4. Just looked but my Deadly is 320. Just playing it & i didn't realise it has some Bim vocals on it! :)
    Staggering Heights at 24/96 would be good!?
    Thanks again & forward to 15....tb

    ReplyDelete