New Dark Ages


The Sound - From The Lions Mouth
About time some of you may say. As I am in the mood to resurrect old posts (and it is a cold and wet day outside ESWA towers), here's what I described back then as my second favourite album from 1981. By coincidence, From The Lions Mouth was the second album by The Sound and in my opinion their best by miles. It baffles me why it is still deleted and why Warners have never reissued it anywhere, leaving it to languish in their archives for over thirty years. There have been just a few grey market CD versions over the years. Adrian Borland never received the accolades he deserved for his songwriting ability, his lyrics were filled with anger, anxiety and pain, yet there was a beauty in them which the remaining members managed to wrap up in melancholic melodies. Silent Air is one of the best sad songs ever written, the powerful Winning is really a tale of desperation, suicidal thoughts and conquering depression. These issues are again echoed on a version of the single, Sense Of Purpose. It is clear to us all where Borland's mind was back in the early eighties. Next, the pounding Skeletons is followed by the synth washed Judgement, and the bunnymen'esque The Fire (who were label mates). New Dark Age heralds a move from new wave to goth wave. The vibrant Hot House single is a hidden extra track on this cd.

Ripped from a compact disc of an album first released on Korova Records (KODE 5) in 1981 to high quality lossless flac audio.
01. Winning
02. Sense Of Purpose
03. Contact The Fact
04. Skeletons
05. Judgement
06. Fatal Flaw
07. Possession
08. The Fire
09. Silent Air
10. New Dark Age
11. Hot House

8 comments:

  1. http://www.adrive.com/public/kShZ6Q/sound_lions.rar

    Link will expire 4th December 2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. this album is a lost gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brilliant album! Those years were filled with the sounds of Echo & The Bunnymen, The Sound, The Comsat Angels...the darker, emotional side of Post Punk was my niche. Adrian Borland sang from a fractured heart and you felt his emotions in his songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant album. But I think "All fall down" is even better... At the same hig level as "Script from the bridge", from The Chameleons...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed, this is utterly brilliant. I can't think of a song so against itself as "Winning".

    Was wondering if you can put up all of the Modern Eon discography. Only learned of them today from a friend, they were from Liverpool, and "Fiction Tales" is to this day frequently spun by him.

    http://www.soulsaw.com/modern-eon/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I have no Modern Eon. I will have a trawl of the blogosphere for some links though.

      Delete
  6. You don't have Adrian Borland/Graham Greene's 2nd Layer stuff, do you? Specifically, the EP's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have the EPs. I know they are very rare - but I always thought the album was miles better.

      Delete