I Get Along Without You Very Well


Durutti Column - I Get Along Without You Very Well
Aside from a few EPs and limited releases, it took Vini Reilly four years to release his first single, and with the help of Tony Wilson's estranged wife Lindsay, he chose an apt cover of Hoagy Carmichael. It's a simple melody backed with electric piano, Reilly's wonderful guitar and subtle chimes, seemingly dedicated to the end of Wilson's marriage. Production is credited to Be Music, though it is not clear which member of New Order was at the mixing desk.

Ripped from a rather well worn 7" single released on Factory Records (FAC 64) in 1983 to high quality lossless FLAC audio.
A. I Get Along Without You Very Well
B. Prayer

4 comments:

  1. http://www.adrive.com/public/4785kY/duru_col_igawyvw.zip

    File is live until 27/04/13

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh. Thanks for uploading, but this was possibly one of the first Durutti Column releases I bought that made me realise that hey, I really don't need to collect *everything* just because it's on Factory. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you're going to all the effort of ripping these and uploading them. It's highly likely my limited Factory collection is very much a subset of yours, particularly since I had to get most of these on import. So at least I'll get to listen to some of this stuff at least once more. But I do remember when I bought this and listened to it, I was underwhelmed.

    As for the first single, I always had it in my head that "Sketch for Summer" was a single, but maybe that was only in Aus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a rip to CD quality from a pristine copy of the vinyl. If you'd like it let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. another favourite band... didn't know this particular single.thanks so much,...

    ReplyDelete