Little Red Cherries


Various Cherry Red Artists - Pillows And Prayers
One of my favourite compilations and it was only 99p. We all bought it didn't we? These days Cherry Red do sterling work as a reissue label, but there once was a day when they were one of the most important independent labels with an impressive roster varying through acoustic pop, folk, new psyche (and old psychedelia), poetry and synthpop. Famous as the label which launched Everything But The Girl (and their respective parts), The Nightingales and Felt, they also rescued post-Virgins Kevin Coyne & The Monochrome Set, as well as importing a fledgling Dead Kennedys. 
Everybody will have a favourite here, for me Joe Crow's one-off minimal synthpop masterpiece Compulsion is worth a thousand 99p. Those out side the UK will struggle with Atilla The Stockbroker, but he is very funny and still performs these days. The inclusion of obscure California sixties psychedelia act The Misunderstood adds to the variety but also hints that perhaps the roster was perhaps becoming a little to varied.
My vinyl copy is far to worn to make a good rip, but thankfully I also have a CD copy at hand (for which I paid considerably more than 99p).
Ripped from a compact disc version of an album originally released in 1982 on Cherry Red Records (Z RED 41) to high quality lossless FLAC audio.

8 comments:

  1. http://www.adrive.com/public/CAYUXR/pillows_Pray.zip

    Links will be live until 1st March 2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh!!! I have this record, but not played it for years. My copy is well worn and has a few scratches, I'm looking forward to listening to this! Thanks, Stu

    ReplyDelete
  3. the compilation album that actually worked and began a record buying frenzy for me,and probably many others back in in the early 80's. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah this was one of the best compilation albums (the other was the Some Bizarre Album) I bought the album, the tape and also the picture disc (£1.99 for that gem) - Like everything else they got sold during more desperate times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. always motivating stuff. don't know how to thank you.Big blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely indeed. Changed my life, really! Suddenly I was aware of a world outside the top 40.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours has to be the blog with the most of the best rare 80s music that I once had on vinyl. I am a new convert to FLAC. Could you please re-up Shriekback, Hula, 400 Blows, Chakk, Workforce, Skidoo, ACR, CV, Jez Kerr?

    ReplyDelete
  8. another great compilation from cherry red is "perspectives & distortions ". would you upload -if you have it- please
    thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete