Win - ...Uh! Tears Baby (A Trash Icon)
It's re-rip and re-post time again. A few years back, I posted a cd rip in mp3 format, but for you lovers of good quality lossless vinyl rips, here's my digitized 24bit 96Khz rip of this classic pop album.
I have never understood how both London Records then Virgin failed to get mainstream recognition and success out of Win. Davey Henderson is a genius at writing catchy pop tunes and despite the efforts of two major labels (and a well known Scottish lager TV advert), consistently failed to get a hit. This their debut album is a truly superb collection of eleven sing-a-long candyfloss pop tunes. Win take indie-synthpop music to it's catchiest limits and blend vocal harmonies (a la Beach Boys), to produce one of the most important albums of the decade. But there were flaws....
London flogged it to death with multiple singles in multiple formats all of which seemed to feature a mix of You've Got The Power. I'm pretty sure the album's title confused the pop audience and pigeon holed Win as an obscure indie act and to be even more slightly critical the production and mix seem flat and two dimensional. The re-recorded version of UnAmerican Broadcasting is quite weak when compared to the original Swamplands single.The move over to Virgin resulted in the poor Freaky Trigger follow-up album and even more single formats! Win then morphed into Nectarine No.9 and nobody paid attention.
I challenge you not to love this album - the best pop album of the 80's was Lexicon Of Love - if only Trevor Horn had produced Uh! Tears Baby (A Trash Icon)?
Ripped from a vinyl album released on London Records (LONLP 31) in 1987 to high resolution 24-bit flac audio.
A1. Super Popoid GrooveA2. Shampoo Tears
A3. Binding Love Spell
A4. Un-American Broadcasting (Extended)
A5. Hollywood Baby Too
B1. Empty Holsters
B2. You've Got The Power
B3. Charms Of Powerful Trouble
B4. It May Be A Beautiful Sky Tonight But It's Only A Shelter For A World At Risk
B5. Charms (Reprise)
B6. Baby Cutting

http://netkups.com/?d=7f57805a4aacb
ReplyDeleteThis is a 900mb single zip file. Those with less reliable connections may benefit from downloading the torrent file available from the same download page as an alternative. Netkups seem to be able to manage a reliable single seed speed on 150kbps, and this will clearly improve with additional peers.
Thank you. I really wanted to hear this. There is no legal download and when I tried to buy a hard copy I saw a ridiculous price in the hundred of dollars. I really loved the first Nectarine No. 9 "a Sea with four stars". My theory is the name "Win" hurt them.
ReplyDeleteFantastic upload, and I'm in full agreement regarding Davy Henderson's genius. Though I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion of Freaky trigger- I think it's even better than their debut. Mais chacun à son gout.
ReplyDeleteI was disappointed with Freaky Trigger, to me the magic and charm of the original singles and first album was lost, and it was too full of fillers. I just couldn't get into it. I do have a couple of the singles from Freaky which I'll up soon.
Delete