Rose Of Avalanche - L.A. Rain


It's time for some goth-tinged fun. First up is the awful Rose Of Avalanche who exploited the Yorkshire love of all things goth (Sisters soon) and clearly listened to too much Lou Reed and a lot of The Ramones in their student days. I say they are awful because most of their recordings are just that!
However, this, their debut is actually really good, and still sounds great today - I remember Peel playing this to death, so much so that I actually went out and bought a copy. I just love the guitars, like a wall of sound and fuzz which grows louder and louder until it rounds off with some lovely acoustic guitar and synths as the song fades. Good stuff - this track will make you want to hear more, but honestly don't bother!

L.A. Rain : ripped from a 12" vinyl single released on Avalantic Records (12 LIL 01) in 1985 to high quality lossless FLAC.
A. L.A. Rain
B1. Rise To The Groove
B2. Conceal Me


3 comments:

  1. Still listen to this regularly - and you're right, it's the only thing of theirs worth listening to. I still remember John Peel's quote concerning this song - "The best Sisters of Mercy record they never made."

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://netkups.com/?d=52894ac04f08f

    ReplyDelete
  3. I managed a record shop in Bradford in the 80's. We sold a lot of Indy stuff and had agreed to stock LIL (Leed's Independant Label) Records compilation LP of local bands signed with them. One day an unassuming chap brought the disc to the counter and asked me to play the best two tracks on it. So: 'L.A Rain' and something else completely forgettable. He listened, paid his £2.99 and left with the LP in a yellow 'Rock's Off' carrier.
    A week or so later we were bombarded with phonecalls and then letters from all over the globe asking to buy the LP - all saying that John Peel had given our shop details out on his show - The carrier bag had phone number and address on it - and 'L.A Rain' was the song they were after.
    So: I got to meet John Peel without realising it and inadvertantly kickstarted Rose of Avalanche's 'career' off. Good the know that the great man agreed with my choice though..

    R.I.P John

    ReplyDelete