Ministry - Cold Life


Back in the early days of this blog, I was very cruel about Al Jourgensen. I still believe this was quite justified as although he has shown flashes of genius (though aided by others) as a Revolting Cock and on Ministry's stunning Twitch album, the vast majority of his output is just awful. (cue more hate mail). This 12" EP (originally released in 1981) is however, rather good.
Before he was attempting to become an electro-pop icon (the Arista years) and well before he transformed himself into a goth-death-dirge monster, he released this superb 12" single on Chicago's seminal Wax Trax label. I've upped the UK Situation Two release before but the Wax Trax repressing from 1985 is much superior, and I'm posting it as lossless audio.
Cold Life is a superb slap bass driven East Coast indie funk number, the original a-side, I'm Falling is more new wave, Primental is another bass driven dance track - basically a souped up funky instrumental version of the Arista single, I Wanted To Tell Her.
Cold Life : ripped from a 12" vinyl EP released on Wax Trax Records (WAX 003) in 1985 to high quality lossless FLAC audio.
A1. Cold Life
A2. I'm Falling
B1. Primental
B2. Cold Life Dub

Repost Coming Soon

6 comments:

  1. Don't know why Al's early material is so groundlessly criticized & rejected by the vast majority of Ministry fans [after Al himself]... But for me personally the first Ministry's LPs are definitely the Best ones ever, reaching their creative peak in magnificent "Twitch" album, Hell yea!!

    Alongside with such brilliant non-album '82-84 unreleases as "Same Old Madness", "America", "Never Asked for Nothing", etc...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (a better-written version)

    Yeah, I would love myself to see all of the early Ministry material assembled. "I'm Falling" sounds like New Wave meets the Dead Kennedys, just listen to the vocals and guitar riffs.

    Another career where the principal believes he's evolving but it's really in fact de-evolution. While I do like some of Al's "harder" material, "Stigmata", "Burning Inside, "Jesus Built My Hot Rod" and "Just One Fix"...that's probably more just a reflection of my tastes than the actual quality of the compositions, and I have to admit that "Filth Pig" is about the worst release I have from a veteran artists...and it hasn't gotten any better for Al since, has it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, i tend to agree. The early stuff has some very good material that deserves to be listened. Some other side projects are worthy of listening to, such as 1000 Homo DJs, Acid Horse, Hypo Luxa & Hermes Pan, PTP, all released under the WaxTrax banner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff! I'll have to track down some more early Ministry if I can. Falling is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd be interested in hearing this, would anyone care to re-upload somewhere other than megaupload? :)

    ReplyDelete