
It never amazes me how a band can release one brilliant single, then for the next 20 years submit us to absolute drivel. I'm not going to go on too much about how bad Information Society are, but I can tell you that I do love this record.
Virtually unknown in Europe, my well worn and very expensive Tommy Boy 33rpm 12" import is totally irreplaceable.
When this came out, they called the music Latin hip-hop, utter bollocks! This is minimalist electro with simple keyboards and melancholy (almost British) vocals - think Robbie Gray (from Modern English) singing with Hilltop-era Section 25!
Superb stuff!
A1. Vocal Remix
A2. Percapellla
B1. The Nest Mix
B2. Instrumental
Run here
I won't get into an argument about InSoc's music before and after this single (which ranges from brilliant to pop crap to "why did they think this bit of experimental noodling counts as a song?").
ReplyDeleteBut I will thank you profusely for ripping it and putting it up.
It was very easy to find this record on this side of the pond back in the day. The first time my copy got stolen, I found another one for 99 cents at the first record store I went to. But nowadays, _nothing_ is easy to find. Without blogs like yours, all that music would vanish forever....
In case anyone wants to support the band (as you suggest in the sidebar), a version very nearly identical to track 1 appears on most of their best-of albums, including the one that I think is still in print, 2001's "Strange Haircuts, Cardboard Guitars, and Computer Samples". Of course this also has "Pure Energy" and all the other stuff you hate by them.
You can also find the original 1983 version (with horrible effects, especially on the vocals, which make it nearly unlistenable) on 2008's "Apocryphon", along with a bunch of early stuff you might find interesting.
But you can't find the "Nest" mix anywhere but on the 1986 single. So, again, thanks for posting it!
This was always an absolute banger on the dance floor. Thanks for this!
ReplyDelete