
Neutron - The First Fifteen Minutes
A rather special & somewhat obscure 7" 33rpm 4 track EP, released in 1979 on Sheffield's Neutron Records. The label was owned by Steve Singleton and Mark White of local electronic group, Vice Versa. They eventually recruited a local singer Martin Fry, bought gold lame suits and rechristened themselves as ABC. The first and best selling ABC album, The Lexicon of Love was actually released on Neutron.
The important fact about this EP was that it was Clock DVA's first vinyl release with the track Brigade.
Of the other groups, The Stunt Kites were just bad punk, Vice Versa owed more to early Kraftwerk than the local electronic pioneers and I'm So Hollow had limited, mostly local, success with their post-punk dirge.
A1. Brigade - Clock DVA
A2. Beautiful People - Stunt Kites
B1. Genetic Warfare - Vice Versa
B2. I Don't Know - I'm So Hollow
Great, Great blog. Any chance of a re-up.
ReplyDeleteIt's back Up!
ReplyDeleteOne of my all-time favourites. Including my fave track by Clock DVA. Your rip is a bit fast, though, making Adi Newton's voice sound a little too high.
ReplyDeleteI've just re-ripped it again and it is still the same speed. I also have a copy from the Fragment tape and the track sounds exactly the same speed on that but 5 secs shorter. I'm confused!
ReplyDeleteWow, I'm a big fan of early Clock DVA but have never come across this before - many thanks for the upload! Don't suppose you have any of their pre-Fetish cassettes stashed away do you...?
ReplyDeleteHi Buddy, thanks for this great post!
ReplyDeleteCan you please please please upload the early DVA cassettes? I would love to hear those early tracks.
Thank you!
Great blog/ I used to have a Vice Versa 7 inch (can't remember how many tracks were on it tho...) and I am sure I bought it after seeing them at one of the 'Final Solution' gigs in London.
ReplyDeleteRegards/
thanx
ReplyDeleteI seem to recall I'm So Hollow doing a Peel session...probably the only time I heard them. I think I still have a Clock DVA cassette on Industrial
ReplyDeleteBig thanks for this!
ReplyDeleteVice Versa's "Camille" from Music 4 is one of my favorite "songs" of all time. And "Genetic Warfare" is nearly as wonderful. The Clock DVA and I'm So Hollow tracks are also excellent. Thanks very much for this.
ReplyDeleteI stayed with Martin Fry up in Sheffield back in the day, just after the ep had been released, and was a bit dismayed to find the Letraset sheet and the artwork from the ep (along with the Music 4 art) stuffed in his kitchen drawer. There was some bizarre reason why the Stunt Kites were on this (by all accounts they were a bit embarrassing to everyone in the Steel City)but it's a great release despite this.
ReplyDeleteI had an LP by I'm so hollow (live in Asia, all my vinyls stayed in Europe in different places and anyway I don't listen music the same way anymore) and as far as I remember it was quite good, at least I listened to it many times. I recommend to check it out if it is available somewhere, you might change your mind.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, excellent site. Fantastic memories of long time forgotten bands.
I remember buying this from Virgin on the Moor a little after the fact (about January 1981 with my Christmas money probably) as well as the ClockDVA Group Fragment tape - it was a great record shop. I didn't buy the Vice Versa EP and wish I had.
ReplyDeleteCannot wait for the Vice Versa box set on Vinyl on Demand - Neutron was the shit and this was actually a very hard record to find even in Sheffield.
ReplyDelete