
The Distractions - Nobody's Perfect
Most will know The Distractions from their excellent Factory Record's 7" Time Goes By So Slow. It's a great song and influenced me into buying their only album (second hand in 1984). As they had no contract with Factory, The Distractions were signed to Island Records and released this album in 1980 - complete with a Peter Saville sleeve.
I've not played this for over 15 years, and now I know why - it's not very good. The album ignores the new wave energy and delivers more of a pub-rock/pop sound with a shiny new major label production. I'm just posting it here for rarity value and I know there are quite a few curious FAC fans who may frequent these pages.
Hmmm ... thank you for this. You're right, this isn't very good, I would agree. There are some pretty good songs on it though; 'Boyscry' comes to mind.
ReplyDeleteAnyway ... thanks for all your work, there are some fantastic records on your blog; some I haven't heard in yeeears ... great job! Thanks!
For more information The Distractions' other work, see the new official website:
ReplyDeletewww.thedistractions.co.uk
I have the ep that came before this, and it's quite good. When I first got it, I thought they sounded like an Americanized Buzzcocks - was surprised when I found out they were from Manchester. Regrettable if they didn't develop into something better, but at least that first ep exists, although I suppose it's not that easy to get.
ReplyDeleteRob, it will be available on next years' Distractions compilation album (Spring 2012), for the first time on CD.
ReplyDelete